Thursday, January 06, 2005

Spanglish

Even though I am not a big fan of Adam Sandler, I really wanted to see Spanglish. The story is pretty good. The way they portrayed a single mother who comes from Mexico with her young daughter and struggles with all the barriers is very close to the reality. I am very surprised it was written by an American director. The acting, specially the kids’ is quite good. Sarah Steele, who plays Sandler’s teenager daughter, is awesome. I hope to see this girl in many other films. She is definitely not a pretty face, but a promising actress. Kudos to James L. Brooks directing who also wrote the piece. I was always very fond of Tea Leoni, ever since her TV show “The Naked Truth”, and I find her to be doing a good job in the film as a depressive mother, who sees Latin people almost as little pets (something to be amused by). It is definitely funny, specially coming from a Latin culture. I can see myself in the same situation sometimes, specially when I first came here and was not “Americanized” yet. I give it a B+. It is a good entertaining movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home