Sunday, October 10, 2004

Garden State

This weekend was an unusual one for me... I guess I was very Hot and Cold, for personal reasons. On saturday, I spent the morning cleaning and as it didn't help me with all the anxiety I was feeling, I decided to go to the movies. Nothing better than a good film to... Hum, make me even more emotional... hehehe
I picked "Garden State", which I had heard great critics from Ismail. When the film finished I called Randy and then Adam. I had to share what I was feeling with someone. I could not. I dialed Randy and he didn't pick up. I tried leaving a message, but the air felt "rarefied" and I could not speak. Later on Randy told me he thought I had a bad connection. I caught my breath and tried Adam. He picked up and again the level of Oxygen decreased... I was like: " I just saw Garden State (pause)... It was awesome (pause)". Adam: " Are you okay?". " Are you crying?", "is it because of the film? Hummm, Let me remember the scenes". I go "Stop asking stupid questions...". I cried in many films, actually I am a big "butter", but I remember crying that much AFTER a film only when I was seven on "E.T." I was walking out the theater with my mother and sister when suddenly I started crying. All the people staring at me as in "What the fuck is wrong with this kid?" I remember my mother kept on asking why and I didn't know what to say... hehehe
My point is, "Garden State" is not the best film I have ever seen and I will possibly forget about it with time, but at this point in time I can relate to the situations as if they were mine. Natalie Portman is a great promising actress. She caught my attention a while back when she was much younger and protagnized "The Professional" with Jean Reno. On "Garden State", she still shows her sweet and innocent personality, playing a character that is too charismatic in a way that anyone will fall in love with. I also like the dialogues. They are at the same time actual and intelligent. Many of the conversations and situations are very real and one could relate easily. It is an original film, with an awesome soundtrack and very contemporary issues. I would say it is mostly about different kinds of relationships and choices one has to make. I would give it a B+.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home