Thursday, September 23, 2004

Michael Moore

Ever since I saw 'Bowling for Columbine' I have become Michael Moore's admirer. I know he can be very bias and controversial, but who told one could be heard with "sugarcoated" ideas? If one day I decide to be heard I will definetly take whatever I believe to an extreme in a way to shock the public opinion. And that is something that MM does it best. He presents his ideas with great impact and assertiviness, and as a documentarist 'to be' I give him a lot of credit. In my mind what makes him so special is not WHAT he is presenting but HOW he does it and that is what makes him such a great communicator.
I heard many people complaining about how his last piece - Fahrenheit 911 - is very unidirectional and partial. Many of these people stated that F911 does not work as a documentary because it could possibly carry incorrect facts and too much of someone's point of view. Back on my school days, during Film Classes, I remember learning that even documentaries were pretty much the reality seen through the director's eyes. The reality happens as it is but the film is shot and edited according to the Director's perspective. In this process, a new version of that reality ws created.
I wish one day I can achieve 30% of what Michael Moore has achieved as a journalist / documentarist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home