Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Double Feature

Last Sunday, just before the Labor Day Holiday, my friend Adam and I went to the movies to catch a double feature, practice that we have been doing for a while. We do not go to specific theathres that shows two different films for a cheap price, we rather go to regular big theathres and just sneak into the second showing. It's very simple. We make the arrengements before we leave, checking the schedules either on LA Weekly or through the Internet Movie Database. I have to say that the best places for Double Features are: The Grove, Sherman Oaks Pacific Galleria or AMC Burbank.
Even though there was no film showing that I had major interest on seeing , I thought that an air conditioned room for the afternoon was much better than the hot desertic frying temperature outside. We decided that we would see Collateral followed by Vanity Fair.
As I had no expectations for any of the films, I ended up having a fairly amusing afternoon.
On Collateral, I could see some good acting from both Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx, with certain exciting but "nothing new" scenes. Before the film, Adam had told me that Collateral had gotten some good reviews and the worst one categorized it as a good TV film. I second that!
With respect to Vanity Fair, I have to say it started very promising, even made me forget about the so waited "The Motorcycle Diaries" preview that made me excited moments before.
Reese Whiterspoon can carry the film with her carisma till certain point but the soap opera characteristics take control and "Vanity Fair" gets lost and lacks rythim when it comes to the end, leaving you with a bad impression.
Films like Collateral and Vanity Fair are forgotten within the next day.

1 Comments:

At September 8, 2004 at 6:58 PM, Blogger Somah said...

We wanted to go see Vanity Fair that Sunday, but now hearing what you had to say about, I thank God we didn't waste our money! I will see it on DVD, though. I love Reese Witherspoon :-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home