Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Got lettuce????

My friend Frank (Adam’s partner) has to be the most stubborn person I have ever met. Even more than my mother. Besides, he loves playing “Dr. knows it all”. He is one of those people who have an answer and explanation for everything, even if it is not the correct one. He is funny and sweet (sometimes) though.
Last Monday, the three of us went to eat at a Greek-Armenian Restaurant in Glendale – Helena’s. It is a “hole in the wall”- family owned kind of place. I liked very much!
At dinner time one has a choice for salad or lentil soup and if you add $1.75 you can upgrade your simple salad to a “Greek salad”. Frank, then, was very proud to tell me he would be upgrading his simple salad to a Greek one. Wow! Way to go! Adam and I just ordered the humble lentil soup.
The lentil soup was delicious!
How about the Greek salad??? It was funny to see Frank’s disappointed face. It had… LETTUCE!!!!!!! They should know better: Greek salad does NOT have lettuce!!!!
So, there was a German guy debating with the Greek-Armenian cook about lettuces in the GREEK salad.
I know it sounds surreal but it is true. I was there! The next day I had to go online and double check. After all, Frank was so sure about NO lettuces at Greek salad that he almost convinced me that all those Greek Armenians at ‘Helena’s’ were a bunch of liars who didn’t have enough cucumbers to fill up the plate and replaced them with lettuces.
Here are some of the recipes I found online:
http://www.natashascafe.com/html/salad.html
http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/recipes/dec99_3.2.htm
http://www.recipehound.com/Recipes/1641.html
Oh well! Maybe he wanted a fruit salad…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home